Apr 21, 2012

Inspiration Part II


"That's the perennial appeal of Magic. In religion, you have to depend on someone else.
In magic, you have only yourself to rely on"

She was a broke single parent, trying to get ends meet. Single, lonely, with a child to support...holding on to a dream. A dream of being a "published writer"...that was when she gave birth to one of the legends of the 20th century. She proved the complaining captains of "Children -Don't-Read-Anymore" league wrong. She not only is a live example of "rags to riches" but an ultimate inspiration to all those who have a dream. The female who single handed changed the perception of the world "magic" and brought meaning to utterly non-sensical words like Quidditch and Aloha Mora...is a live testament of following dreams into reality.

J K Rowling was living on social security, supporting a single child when she thought of Harry Potter. The novels were written through times of personal turmoils...but instead of wallowing in the pit, JKR used these personal troubles in her stories. Her mothers death found its way into Philosopher's stone as Harry's agony of being an orphan, while her personal clinical depression manifested itself as the dementors in Prisoner of Azkaban. And her trials and pains were rewarded in the most magnificent of ways. The lady saw herself, progressing from living on social security to multi-millionaire status within five years.




What I find truly inspirational about her is the simplicity with which she agrees that she still finds the success staggering. And humanity with which she says that Harry delivered her from a life of misery. To quote her...


Failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy to finishing the only work that mattered to me. Had I really succeeded at anything else, I might never have found the determination to succeed in the one area where I truly belonged. I was set free, because my greatest fear had been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter, and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. – J. K. Rowling, Harvard commencement address, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an opinion... Shout it out...