Jan 20, 2010

Musical driver....

Ohh BTW, passengers are not the only source of amusement in Mumbai locals though... as I was reminded today morning. sometimes amusement comes to you from unexpected sources.

It’s typical to hear earsplitting announcements when you board a local train from its starting point. most of the times, its the train's driver announcing either that "train is a slow train for town, will halt at all stations" or "train is fast and will halt only on..... Stations". Occasionally a recorded lady's voice reaches you to be vigilant about unclaimed objects around you... We the passengers and train drivers pay equal amount of attention and heed to these announcements. Both equally bored and feeling "yeah, right... as if we really care about all this". Thus, when once in a while it’s rather surprising to the passengers to hear....

When I boarded the train today, I wasn't in a great mood (though, that can be said about MOST of the days I get into train for office)... while I settled in my regular, by the window seat.... I heard the unmistakable cracking of the overhead speaker... and with horror realised that the seat was directly below the speaker. I closed my eyes in silent prayer for the safety of my ears... the driver's shrill, high pitched voice trailed to my ears... and my face lit up in smiles...

its rather surprising to find someone who so clearly enjoys one's job, that even a mundane task like making an announcement about the speed of the train (which I’m sure he has to do at least a dozen times in his 6 hrs shift)... the unnamed driver's voice was so chirpy, happy and musical... that it not only bought smile on my face... but also on all the faces in the compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an opinion... Shout it out...